How to get the most out of LinkedIn Pulse (with secret feeds)
This post has originally been published at LinkedIn, October 16th, 2016: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-get-most-out-linkedin-pulse-secret-feeds-tom-laine I've been digging into the very core of LinkedIn Pulse lately, both for personal interest as well as trying to figure out how to get the most out of it business-wise. Here's a deep insight into LinkedIn Pulse with some really unique data.
Many of the following statistics and figures are available for anyone to find, if you know what to look for and where. Some of the figures are not publicly available, like with so many other things with LinkedIn, but can be found with a little bit of effort and creative thinking. I just thought these should be made available for all. If you think the information is useful, feel free to share it with others who may find it useful. And for the cherry-pickers, at the end of the post there are unique lists that you can't find anywhere else, but I'd still urge you to read the full story and not just scroll to the end, so you know what the lists are all about. Enjoy!
The Pulse is a news feed of information published within LinkedIn, either by us normal users, a group of thought leaders called the "LinkedIn Influencers", and a chosen group of media, all divided into channels that anyone can subscribe. You can subscribe to particular Influencers' posts, to certain media, or topics (called channels).
If you decide to write blog posts in LinkedIn, all you need to do is to click the "Publish an article" text at your LinkedIn home page, and voila, you have a simple text editor open where you can write your content. Whether you publish it immediately and with links, pictures or video, or save it for later as a draft, it's all up to you.
I'd just like to throw in a little thought for you to consider... Where else could you reach an audience of millions of potential customers, business partners, subcontractors, employees, and more? And for free? And not just any random users, but millions of people who have stated interested in the particular topic you write about. I think this is a unique chance to build a personal brand and to reach the largest online business community and convince them about your expertise.
If you just want to find the Pulse feed, here's a direct link. For reasons absolutely incomprehensible to me, LinkedIn has decided to every now and then hide the Pulse link and occasionally have it publicly available at your topbar menu (under Interests). For mobile users, there's a separate Pulse app.
Click the link below to access the Pulse channels.
If for some reason the picture link doesn't work, copy the following URL to your browser: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/discover
How to get featured at the Pulse feed and reach a targeted audience of millions?
That's easy. You just have to write an article compelling enough that people start reading, liking, sharing and commenting it. Easy, right?
LinkedIn explains: "Write content that resonates with your connections, followers, and target audience. The most meaningful and high-quality long-form posts will be promoted through member feedback, including views, likes, comments, and shares."
So there's no short cut, other than having been chosen as a LinkedIn Influencer, like Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Guy Kawasaki, and a few others. LinkedIn didn't pick you? Sorry, you just have to earn your reach by posting great content.
My content has been picked for promotion to a targeted audience of over a million subscribers of a specific topic, but that's not something I could reach everytime. I still haven't found that magic incredient to repeat the success too often, but there are certain types of content that clearly resonate better than others.
Once your article has been picked to the top list under a certain topic, your content will be featured at the top of the feed, on the cover picture section (certain apps or old desktop version), and it will be sent out in a newsletter to those who have subscribed to the particular topic. Depending on their settings and how people use LinkedIn (apps vs. mobile vs. desktop), the blog posts are shown differently.
So LinkedIn analyses your content, and tags it under certain topics (3 topics max.), apparently based on text mining. And if your article is better than average, based on views, likes, shares, comments., etc., you may be on your way to the top lists as a featured article. Even if you don't make it to the top lists and the Pulse feed, your network and possible followers will always be notified when you have published your article, that's where the first reach comes from that defines your destiny. Of course you can do promotion to your article at groups, etc., and try to enhance your possibilities to get to the top lists.
The Pulse setup
So how to find and subscribe the content? If you followed the link above, you've found your way to the subscription page. It should look something like this:
As you can see, you have a list of Influencers, Media channels, and Topics suggested to you. If you hover your mouse over the pictures, you'll be able to click the Follow-link to subscribe any or all of these channels.
Below the suggested channels, you can find the lists for all Influencers, Media, and Topics altogether. But the tricky part often is, who or which channel to follow. Far below I've collected full lists of all the above mentioned, and have arranged those to popularity order.
Great! You've read this far, so there should be a small reward, right? Here it is!
Here below are full lists of all channels; Influencers, Publishers and Topics, together with some direct links to access the topic feeds easily. These lists are not available anywhere else like this, so remember to share them with your friends by clicking the Like or Share buttons.
Here below you can find the full list of Topics, with links directly to each topic's channel, and arranged in the popularity order. You can see the number of subscribers right after the topic name. Note, that not all topics are in English, some are in Chinese, Portuguese, German or in French.
- India 42 266 506
- 职领袖 27 977 555 In Chinese
- 前媒体 27 764 983 In Chinese
- 自媒体 27 761 111 In Chinese
- Leadership & Management 21 833 529
- Big ideas & Innovation 19 199 650
- Techology 17 838 813
- Entrepreneurship 14 403 794
- Social media 14 181 393
- Economy 13 444 169
- Professional Women 12 519 049
- Marketing & Advertising 12 493 172
- Banking & Finance 9 140 181
- Green Business 8 735 380
- Education 6 142 986
- Recruiting & Hiring 6 117 555
- Best advice 5 884 335
- Your career 5 805 414
- Healthcare 5 536 511
- What inspires me 4 842 597
- Customer experience 4 637 970
- Software engineering 4 316 438
- Big data 4 306 832
- Productivity 3 957 426
- Law & Government 3 814 642
- Business travel 3 746 298
- Careers: Getting started 3 726 792
- Editor's picks 3 152 347
- Social impact 2 952 908
- Design 2 937 169
- Retail & E-commerce 2 936 452
- Accounting 2 848 751
- Sales strategies 2 827 568
- Entertainment 2 741 964
- Mobile 2 656 100
- Media 2 636 433
- Food & Beverages 2 599 918
- Apparel & Fashion 2 452 453
- Careers: The next level 2 368 533
- Automotive 2 178 109
- Public relations 2 145 620
- Travel & Leisure 2 137 835
- Oil & Energy 2 106 460
- Construction 2 088 994
- Management Consulting 2 088 709
- Real Estate 2 044 330
- Product Management 2 022 686
- Logistics & Supply chain 1 952 540
- Airlines & Aviation 1 845 048
- Information technology 1 758 049
- Company culture 1 752 306
- VC & Private Equity 1 550 463
- Pulse 1 283 275
- Noticias e Opiniao 977 320
- Europe 955 784
- Inovação e Empreendedorismo 574 828 In Portuguese
- Asia Pacific 557 336
- Actualites & Analyses 554 559 In French
- Marketing & Publicidade 550 756 In Portuguese
- Carreiras 546 212 In Portuguese
- Insurance 426 678
- Pharmaceutical 419 333
- Operations 410 293
- Meinungen & Macher 342 257 In German
- LinkedIn Tips 316 210
- Human Resources 311 069
- Student Voices 302 833
- Cloud Computing 299 350
- Public speaking & Presenting 299 314
- Writing & Editing 281 367
- Freelance and Self-employment 280 878
- United Kingdom 279 106
- Hospitality 270 876
- Business Strategies 266 572
- US Politics 263 264
- Global trade 252 549
- Information Privacy & Security 244 119
- Space 243 424
- Australia & New Zealand 199 414
- Law practice 198 203
- Africa 195 740
- Manufacturing 184 480
- Top videos 159 603
- Economia e Financas 149 588 In Portuguese
- Daily digest 142 144
- Aspen ideas festival 134 393
- Millennials 133 757
- Educação 131 854 In Portuguese
- Middle East 127 173
- Daily Digest India 114 213
- Para Ler Com Calma 102 892 In Portuguese
- The Weekend Essay 89 437
- Saude e Bem-estar 70 883 In Portuguese
- Midia e Entrenimento 54 670 In Portuguese
- Tech & Entrepreneuriat 47 434 In French
- Davos 43 581
- Latin America 18 532
- Tecnologia 16 853 In Portuguese
- Recrutamento & RH 14 098 In Portuguese
- Produtividade 14 025 In Portuguese
- Grandes Ideias 13 923 In Portuguese
- Mercado Esportivo 12 603 In Portuguese
- Politica 12 320 In Portuguese
- Varejo & E-Commerce 11 573 In Portuguese
- Carriere & Leadership 11 228 In Portuguese
- Melhores Conselhos 11 116 In Portuguese
- Marketing & Communication 10 019 In French
- Economie & Finance 8 277 In French
On top of all this, LinkedIn also has secret "Trending in industry" feeds. The feeds collect all interesting articles relating to a specific industry. The industries available are the same which can be chosen in the industry list at personal profiles.
There's a really long list of these hidden feeds, much too long to publish here, so I'll just publish here a short exemplary list for you to check out. Click the industry name you're interested in, there are direct links to each feed. In this case the subscription to each feed is called Following, not subscribing.
- Computer Hardware
- Computer Networking
- Computer Software
- Consumer Goods
- Defense & Space
- Fine Art
- Glass, Ceramics & Concrete
- Government Administration
- Government Relations
- Graphic Design
- Industrial Automation
- Law Practice
- Legal Services
- Nonprofit Organization Management
- Think Tanks
I believe this is the first time ever that this type of list is published, so do share it with others, if you think they'd find either this listing or the other lists useful. So Like, Share, and Comment and let's share these LinkedIn Tips and tricks and help people do even better business here!